[APPRECIATIONS - (04-02-2019)]

Chitra Tillakaratne

Beloved grandmother

The words I want to say
Fill my heart with an ache I can’t express
Her love for me to be replaced by none
Her awe of me although I could never reach the stars
I can’t believe she’s gone
From holding my hand while I walked to my first classes
She had to deal with my tears,
While I sobbed of being a little not so punctual
Rubbing my cold feet to warm them from fever
Potato and leek soup that I’ll never taste again
Comfort she gave second to none
She’ll always be the face I search for in a crowded room
Her gaze as I wore new outfits to work
No one will ever see me as beautiful as she did, I’m sure
She would never have known how much love I hold for her
As my heart lets out the deepest sigh
It will never be whole
There’s a piece missing inside

Ruvi

****

A.S. Seneviratne

A force for justice

A.S. Seneviratne and I joined the police service as probationary assistant superintendents of police on October 1, 1966. He was fondly known as 'A.S.' among his friends.

Although it was more than 50 years ago, I still have vivid memories of the first day I met this tall young man of few words and reclusive character. Us being the only two in that batch, we both felt a sense of loneliness at the Kalutara Police Training School that day, with only a few inspectors who had arrived for an in-service training course. But I could not strike a close relationship with him either on that day or thereafter, because we were far apart from each other in our attitudes, values, and proclivities.

Yet I adored him for the one defining feature of his character, which stood out during the entire span of his career in the police service. He did not pay slavish obeisance either to politicians or his superiors. We, in that golden era of the police service where this noble profession had not suffered degradation, had considerable leeway and latitude to implement the law in the correct spirit without being fettered by extraneous considerations.

I think A.S Seneviratne conducted his duties in an exemplary manner in this conducive environment, without fear or favour. It is due to this very reason that during the second Janatha Vimukthi Peramuna (JVP) insurrection, he had to countenance a great personal tragedy involving those very dear and near to his heart.

He did not tolerate acts of injustice, even when the outcome would have been personally beneficial to him. The following incident would bear eloquent testimony to this trait in his character.

In 1987, when a vacancy opened for the rank of Deputy Inspector General of Police, I was the most eligible for the promotion, being the most senior among the Senior Superintendents of Police, with A.S. being the next senior. There was, at that time, no need to canvass for what you were legitimately eligible to, and I should have been promoted if normal procedures were respected.

A.S. telephoned me and told me that there was a move by the then IGP to deny that promotion to me, but to recommend him (A.S. Seneviratne) to that vacancy.

Having given that information to me, he urged me to do whatever I could to secure my rights to the promotion and said that he was sorry that I was being discriminated. Such was his outstanding character. Yet I was helpless and A.S. was promoted. I could imagine his frustration when he was denied his promotion to the rank of IGP on two occasions, despite being the most senior of the DIGs at the time.

Well, my dear friend A.S., as human beings, we have to endure injustices, personal tragedies, and frustrations; which can end only when we attain the Supreme Bliss of Nibbana.

May your journey through Sansara be short, and may you attain the Supreme Bliss of Nibbana.

H.M.G.B. Kotakadeniya, Rtd. DIG



from daily news

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post