Following the Easter Sunday suicide bombings on April 21, which left the country in a state of shock, there was relative calm throughout the country. Religious leaders appealed for calm and restraint and it seemed that the people had heeded these appeals.
However almost three weeks after the attacks, riots broke out in several parts of the country where mobs started attacking Muslim homes, businesses and mosques. Many are of the view that these mob attacks are carried out by politically-backed parties to create instability and chaos in the country with sinister motives.
Many were fearful that another communal riot could engulf the country but the Security Forces and the Police sprang into action, and managed to bring the situation under control.
Due to violence and unrest during the two-day period in the Wayamba Province Police divisions of Kurunegala, Kuliyapitiya, Nikaweratiya and Chilaw, the police have arrested 78 suspects by last Wednesday, Police Spokesman SP Ruwan Gunasekara said.
They have been produced in court and remanded. Investigations are underway to arrest all others who had engaged in violence with the assistance of video footage obtained by the police. Among the 78 suspects arrested are employees of the state and private sector, the police spokesman said.
“We will be taking measures to notify the companies that these suspects are employed at, regardless of whether they are employed in the state sector or private sector and we will provide all their details so that the institutions they work in can also take disciplinary action against them for engaging in violent and destructive behaviour,” SP Gunasekara said.
In order to bring the situation under control, the police had to deploy over 5,500 personnel in the Wayamba Province.
The female who sustained injuries during the Saithdamarudu, Kalmunai explosions Abdul Carder Fathima Sadiya, the wife of suicide bomber Mohommed Saharan, is currently in the CID custody. She is being provided medical treatment and her child is also with her as there is no one to take custody of the child.
The van used to transport the suicide bomber to the Kochchikade church was exploded under control by the STF. The person believed to have been connected with the suicide bomber and who had been a part of purchasing and modifying the said van was identified by several informants and based on their description, the police had released sketches of him. Based on information received, this suspect was also arrested. He is a resident of New Kattankudy and identified as Mohommed Adam Lebbe. He is also held under the CID and interrogated.
The police have so far arrested a large number of suspects directly involved in the terror attacks and several others who had aided and abated them.
So far the police have also discovered 17 safe houses used by the terror group. These are from Katuwapitiya-Negombo, Sarikkamulla-Panadura, St. Anthony’s Road - Colombo 3, Templer’s Road-Mount Lavinia, Wanathawilluwa, Enderamulla-Wattala, Mayura Place-Colombo 6, Saindamarudu nine, Malwana, Kalagedihena-Thihariya, Daluwakotuwa-Kochchikade, Walachchna-Ridiyatenna, Subarathipura-Kuliyapitiya, Hettipola, Katupotha, Nindavur and Samanthurai.
Further, the police have discovered seven locations used by the terror group for training and seminars, lectures etc., in Wanathawilluwa, Hambantota, Nuwara Eliya, Nuwara Aruppola, Malwana, Kaththankudy and Walachchenai.
Easter Sunday terror attacks
The Easter Sunday terror attacks targeted three churches and three main hotels in Colombo. Another suicide bomber was said to have been targeting another five-star hotel in Colombo, but his attempt had misfired and eventually he had blasted his suicide vest at a small lodge in Dehiwala.
According to hospital sources, the death toll in the Easter attacks topped 250, but despite the country having gone through a 30-year war, the current uncertainty and confusion are taking a huge toll on the country’s economy and affecting normalcy.
Acting Defence Minister Ruwan Wijewardene addressing a media briefing on Wednesday said that 95 to 97 per cent of the suspects in connection with the mastermind of the Easter Sunday suicide bombings Zahran’s group have already been arrested. Speaking further, he said all terrorists in the country will be arrested in the future and emphasized that none of them will be released.
Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe has ordered the police to take steps against anyone engaged in sectarian violence under the Emergency Regulations and International Covenant On Civil And Political Rights (ICCPR) Act, irrespective of who they are.
An offence under the ICCPR Act is non-bailable, except by the High Court in exceptional circumstances. Furthermore, a person found guilty of such offences under the Act will be liable for rigorous imprisonment for a maximum term of ten years.
Convening a media briefing earlier this week, the Archbishop of Colombo His Eminence Malcolm Cardinal Ranjith urged those involved in violence against the Muslim communities to immediately stop these attacks. He also urged the Muslims not to get provoked by these sinister elements and to act patiently and remain calm. He also urged the Muslim Community to make an effort to be part of the Sri Lankan culture and not to isolate themselves by their customs.
Addressing a media briefing in Colombo yesterday, together with Venerable Iththapane Dhammaloka Mahanayake Thera at the Archbishop’s House, the Archbishop urged the Muslim community to join with the rest of the communities in the country and share in their similarities rather than isolating themselves through their differences. “I am a person who wants to work in close relationship with all communities and that is why we did not allow the Easter Sunder incident to fester. At least as a respect for that effort, I urge all Muslims to try to shed their differences and stop isolating themselves and join all communities in this country in harmony and brotherhood. If we do that all communities in this country could live peacefully in this country.”
The Archbishop appealed to all citizens of this country, irrespective of their race or religion, to refrain from doing anything that would jeopardise the peace and unity of the people in this country. “Sri Lanka is such a beautiful country because of its variety. We are Sinhalese, Tamils, Muslims, Christians, Buddhists, and Hindus etc. Therefore, we must build a new Sri Lanka where all these religions and races live together in unity. We have existed for centuries in peace and unity and we must not allow selfish motives to disturb that peace. Unfortunately, what happened on April 21st was a sad chapter of our history and we lost so many valuable lives. Now we have managed to control our emotions and rise up as a nation, united and strong. So please do not allow this situation to get out of control.”
He urged the groups engaged in causing riots in certain areas to please stop. “We know that some of these groups attacking shops and causing harm to religious places. So please refrain from doing that. We know that some of these groups are politically aligned. We ask all those political leaders to please control their members to ensure that they don’t get out of hand and they don’t take the law into their own hands. There are establishments to maintain security and the rule of law and let them do their job. We stood together in brotherhood in the face of tragedy and around 250 people lost their lives and the best tribute we can give them is to remain calm and refrain from violence.”
Meanwhile, Most Ven. Iththapane Dhammaloka Thera said it is evident that there is a hidden hand which is manipulating and instigating the mobs engaged in causing damage and causing damage in various parts of the country.
“Within a few days since the unfortunate incident on Easter Sunday, we addressed the people and pleaded of them to stay calm. The people obliged and we truly appreciate their silence, resilience and patience. But, now more than 20 days since the incident, there are isolated incidents of violence being reported from various parts of the country based on the Easter Sunday incident.”
Participating in a media briefing held at the Archbishop’s House in Colombo yesterday, he said certain parties inciting racial tensions and unleashing these mobs on innocent people.
“Who is instructing them? It raises suspicion if these violent gangs are being manipulated by organised political forces for their political gain. These incidents are very grave and disturbing. Initially, the weeks following the attacks the people were so calm that we could not believe their silence and calmness. But thereafter, since a few days back, for these incidents to have taken place, it is clear that some sinister force is behind these incidents. These sinister forces are instigating these groups and sending them to cause these damages,” he said, adding that these incidents need to be investigated and those behind these incidents should be exposed.
Army operations
Admitting that there was a huge lapse in intelligence sharing with regard to the recent terror incidents in the country, Army Commander Lt. Gen. Mahesh Senanayake said lessons have been learnt from this incident and proper mechanisms have been put in place to ensure such an incident never happens again.
In an exclusive interview with the Daily News, Gen. Senanayake said it was safe for people to return to their normal routines and for students to go to school. He said the Army has taken all necessary measures to ensure the safety of students and the general public. He noted that over 85% of the terror network has already been arrested and the intelligence mechanism has been strengthened. “We are committed to doing our best to restore normalcy as fast as possible. So far our operations have been an immense success in the aftermath of the bombings.”
He admitted that there was a big lapse in terms of intelligence sharing. But, with the appointment of Gen. Shantha Kottegoda as the Defence Secretary, who was also the former Director Military Intelligence (DMI) who also worked for the National Intelligence Bureau (NIB) and served as the Army Commander, it would be easier for the military to carry out their duties as he understands the importance of intelligence.
“He also understands the role and task of the Army. He understands the value of the soldiers far more than any Defence Secretary we have ever had. This is also a reason for our success story in this incident. It is a very timely decision taken by the President to appoint Gen. Kottegoda to this post. However, having a popular army and an ex-army commander as the Defence Secretary could be seen by some as a threat but the President had the guts to do it. We are for democracy and we are working with the three forces commanders and the Chief of Defence Staff under the President who is the Commander in Chief of all three forces and the Minister of Defence and Minister of Law and Order.”
Meanwhile, Military Spokesman Brigadier Sumith Atapattu said the Army had deployed over 12,000 troops to maintain security throughout the country and prevent any riots. “In addition, the raids to apprehend those involved in causing destruction and remnants of the terror group are also continuing. We have also increased the troop strength to deal with racially instigated violence. There are seven Security Force Headquarters throughout the country and security is being coordinated by them.”
The Air Force operations
Immediately following the Easter Sunday Attacks, the Sri Lanka Air Force went into action with Post Disaster clearance as well as in taking measures to prevent any other planned attacks and to prevent a recurrence. In the immediate aftermath of the attacks, they were the first responders at many locations, coordinating the rescue efforts as well as assisting with Bomb Disposal Experts to secure the affected areas and in preventing other possible attacks, said Air Force Spokesman Group Captain Gihan Seneviratne. “At the Katuwapitiya Church, the Sri Lanka Air Force Base Katunayake took the lead in the rescue efforts as well as in conveying the injured to the hospitals, and also provided medical facilities to help with the crisis.
The security of the most vulnerable city centre of Colombo was taken under the SLAF with SLAF Colombo immediately taking the lead in pre-emptive action to secure the area, and to provide protection to the embassies, hotels, churches and other vulnerable targets, to ensure that no other such targets were attacked in the confusion that ensued after the initial wave of attacks,” he added.
At the same time, realising that there was a real threat of explosives and bombs being introduced on board a passenger airliner, the Air Force took over the security of the International Air Ports, at Katunayake and Mattala and took steps to enhance the perimeter security as well as the checking of all passengers coming into the airport.
“As the situation came gradually under control in the ensuing days, the SLAF, along with the Sri Lanka Army and the Navy, continued to assist the Police in the operations to ensure the security of the people as well as the expeditious restoration of peace, law and order in Sri Lanka.
The SLAF has deployed around 2,000 troops islandwide for the protection of schools, embassies, religious places and hospitals as well as for mobile patrols, search and clearance operations, cordon and search operations in identified areas and locations throughout the country,” the Air Force Spokesman noted.
Navy’s contribution to strengthening national security
In the backdrop of the current situation of the country, the tri-forces and Police have implemented special security measures covering the entire island, in a bid to beef up the national security, the Acting Navy Spokesman Lieutenant Commander Saliya Sudusinghe said.
“The Navy has currently deployed 1,610 naval personnel at sensitive locations such as roadblocks, religious places, hospitals, schools, bridges, flyovers, filling stations, stores, banks, economic centres and telecommunication centres, in all naval commands.
Apart from that, the number of dinghy patrols has been incensed for the safety of all harbours, tanks and bridges as well. Further, the Navy has always rendered assistance in terms of providing its Diving Unit for search operations carried out underwater across the country, upon the request of the Sri Lanka Police,” he added.
Meanwhile, he said that Navy patrol vessels and the surveillance system are on the alert to ensure security in waters around the island. Besides, additional troops are kept on standby in every naval base in order to meet any form of the emergency situation, the Navy Spokesman said.
from daily news