Sandesh Jayawickrama - a proud Peterite captain and top fly half

Sandesh Jayawickrama played School Rugby as a fly half, centre and full back for his alma mater St.Peter’s College Bambalapitiya in the inter school rugby championship.

Then he went on to captain the school rugby team and represent the Sri Lanka national under 20 fifteen a side rugby team in the Junior rugby Asiad as well as he represented Sri lanka national under 20 – 7’s team in 2017 and also part of the Sri lanka senior national pool in 2019.

He then represented Police Sports Club with distinction and presently turns out for Havelock Sports Club in the inter club rugby tournament as an exceptional fly half.

Speaking to Daily News Sandesh said “My journey into the world of sports started because both my parents used to do sports in their school time and also my father played rugby for his school so he was the one who wanted me to take up sports. Sports have always played a key role in my life”.

“ I have been guided and supported by lot of people I Would like to thank God for all his blessings and especially my whole family, and from my first coach Shantha Dharmarathna to Late Senaka Balasuriya, Asiri, Gamini , D.P. Udayasiri, Mohamed Sherif and also Sanath Martis , Colin Denish, Rajeew

Perera and Sudath Sampath, Shamly Nawaz, Asanka Rodrigo and Lakala Perera and the old boys and master in charges Sunil Aponso and Mohamed Shukri who helped me a lot and specially my teammates and also my best friend who was my strength and special thanks to my employer Keells for helping me balance both sports and work.

“Throughout my entire life my priorities are God, rugby and my family.”. “One of the most unforgettable incidents was in 2013 in my first under 20 school rugby season I was able to kick over two penalties in the penalty shootout after the match ended as a draw against Royal College and we won the game by those penalties and also the win against Kandy Sports Club in 2018/2019 league after trailing in the first half. Hence all these incidents will always be in my memory right throughout my whole life as one of the most unforgettable incidents to date”.

” I spend my free time watching movies and hanging out with friends’.My favourite movie is – Kal ho na ho”

“My favourite rugby player is Dan Carter, the former New Zealand All Blacks national team fly half ”.

“My greatest accomplishment was Wearing my beloved school St.Peters College 1st XV rugby jersey and then representing Sri Lanka national under 20 rugby team in 2016 and 2017”.

“ In life I always do what I believe in” “Well I used to watch my own college (St.Peters) rugby star and Sri Lanka national fly half Dulaj Perera and Mohamad Sheriff from my school days and looked up to them and learnt a lot from them.”

“Yes I’m happy with what I have achieved so far as a young man, but there is always more to learn and achieve in the future”. “On a concluding note Sandesh said that he likes to describe himself as a Honest and simple person in life”.

by Daily News Sri Lanka

, Sports, ,

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post